Activated vitamins are in a form that is readily available to be utilised by the body as a substrate in biochemical reactions immediately following ingestion. This means that they do not have to be broken down and manufactured by the body into a usable form as is the case with the inactive vitamins. This is beneficial if there is a problem with the process of digestion or if some enzymatic functions are lacking in some way.
Activated vitamins are important co-factors in many body processes and they are also great for kids or older patients.
Pyridoxal-5-Phosphate (P-5-P) is the active and bioavailable form of Vitamin B6, which requires active vitamin B2 (Riboflavin-5-Phosphate) to be activated. There is a common genetic defect estimated to be in over one third of the population which results in a lowered ability to activate Vitamin B6.
P-5-P plays a vital role in energy metabolism, nervous system function, and the synthesis of neurotransmitters and red blood cells. It is essential for proper brain development, hormone regulation, and immune system support.
Metabolics products are manufactured under strict guidelines of GMP and HACCP certification and are ISO:9001and ISO:14001 accredited. Registered with US Food and Drug Administration but not TGA approved. GMP = Good Manufacturing Practices
Action of Product:
- Nervous System Support: P-5-P supports nerve function, carpal tunnel syndrome and is the cofactor for over 100 critical enzymatic reactions in the body.
- Neurotransmitter Synthesis: P-5-P is essential for the synthesis of important neurotransmitters such as serotonin, dopamine, noradrenaline, histamine and GABA, which are involved in mood regulation and cognitive function.
- Red Blood Cell Formation: P-5-P contributes to the production of red blood cells, reduces anaemia.
- Hormonal Balance: P-5-P participates in the synthesis and regulation of hormones, including those involved in mood, depression, sleep, PMS menopause, and metabolism.
- Immune System Support: P-5-P supports a healthy immune system, promoting optimal immune response and defence against pathogens. It sensitises cancer cells to chemotherapy, and supports treatment of cervical and pancreatic cancer.
- Cardiovascular support: Arrhythmias, coronary artery disease, hypertension and myocardial infarction.
- P-5-P contributes to muscle growth and repair, skin healing, helps nail flaking and contributes to energy metabolism.
- Key support in treatment of pyroluria along with zinc, manganese and several other nutrients.
Characteristic of P-5-P deficiency: irritability and nervousness, sleep walking, loss of appetite, ulcers, difficulty concentrating and short-term memory loss
Store at room temperature below 25o C. Refrigerate after opening. Consume within 3 months of opening.
Purified Water, Pyridoxal 5 Phosphate, Potassium Carbonate,
Vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, nut free, preservative free, dairy free, alcohol free, without binders, fillers and flowing agents.
250 ml, 500 ml
For extemporaneous dispensing in a clinical setting as directed by a health care practitioner. Due to the high bioavailability of the product, the dosages are more conservative than non-activated supplements.
Adult: 8.4mg= 1 serving = 10 drops, 133 servings per 100ml
Children (6-12yrs): 1.7mg = 1 serving = 2 drops
Children (2-6yrs): 840mcg = 1 serving = 1 drop
Children (0-2yrs): 840mcg = 1 serving = 1 drop
***For breastfed babies, it is advisable to give supplementation to the Mother, rather than to the baby.
Empty 50ml, 25ml and 15ml dropper bottles can be purchased from PHS.
|Cautions/Contraindications (if applicable)
While vitamin B6 in the form of pyridoxal-5-phosphate (P-5-P) is generally safe and well-tolerated, there are some cautions and contraindications to be aware of:
Allergic reactions: Some individuals may be allergic to vitamin B6 supplements. If you experience any signs of an allergic reaction, such as rash, itching, swelling, or difficulty breathing, discontinue use and seek medical attention.
Interaction with medications: Vitamin B6 can interact with certain medications, such as levodopa (used to treat Parkinson's disease), anti-seizure medications, and some antibiotics. These interactions can affect the effectiveness or safety of the medications.
Pre-existing conditions: Individuals with certain medical conditions may need to exercise caution when supplementing with vitamin B6. This includes individuals with kidney disease, liver disease, or certain types of cancer. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional before initiating supplementation.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding: Pregnant and breastfeeding women should consult their healthcare provider before taking vitamin B6 supplements, as the dosage and safety considerations may vary based on individual needs.