Activated vitamins are in a form that is readily available to be utilised by the body as a substrate in biochemical reactions immediately following ingestion. This means that they do not have to be broken down and manufactured by the body into a usable form as is the case with the inactive vitamins. This is beneficial if there is a problem with the process of digestion or if some enzymatic functions are lacking in some way.
Activated vitamins are important co-factors in many body processes and they are also great for kids or older patients.
Methyltetrahydrofolate, also known as MTHF or L-methylfolate, is a bioactive form of folate that can be readily utilized by the body.
Metabolics products are manufactured under strict guidelines of GMP and HACCP certification and are ISO:9001and ISO:14001 accredited. Registered with US Food and Drug Administration but not TGA approved. GMP = Good Manufacturing Practices.
Action of product:
- Cardiovascular Health: MTHF helps maintain healthy levels of homocysteine, an amino acid that, when elevated, may cause cardiovascular damage. High homocysteine is considered a marker for MTHF deficiency.
- Nervous System Function: MTHF is essential for production of neurotransmitters; noradrenaline, serotonin and choline which supports healthy cognition function, mood regulation, ADHD, autism, memory loss, neurological disorders.
- Prenatal Development: Adequate folate intake, including MTHF is crucial during pregnancy to support healthy neural tube formation in the developing foetus, healthy placental growth and to help prevent miscarriage, and preterm delivery.
- DNA Synthesis and Cell Division: MTHF is essential for DNA repair and growth, as well as for healthy cell division.
- Hair growth: MTHF strengthens the follicles of the hair shaft, thus hair loss/alopecia and premature grey hair can be a sign of MTHF deficiency
- Gum health: Receding gums and cleft palate can be a sign of low MTHF.
- Burns: MTHF supports healing of burns
Storage (if applicable):
Store in a refrigerator out of reach of children. Consume within 3 months of opening.
Contents, including excipients:
Purified Water, Calcium L Methyl Folate.
Vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, nut free, preservative free, dairy free, alcohol free, without binders, fillers and flowing agents.
250 ml, 500 ml, 500ml 08/24 Expiry (end of month)
For extemporaneous dispensing in a clinical setting as directed by a health care practitioner. Due to the high bioavailability of the product, the dosages are more conservative than non-activated supplements.
Adult: 1mg = 1 serving = 13 drops, 121 servings per 100ml
Children (6-12yrs): 412mcg = 1 serving = 4 drops
Children (2-6yrs): 206mcg = 1 serving = 2 drops
Children (0-2yrs): 103mcg = 1 serving = 1 drop
Empty 50ml, 25ml and 15ml dropper bottles can be purchased from PHS.
|Cautions/Contraindications (if applicable)
While it is generally considered safe for most individuals, (nontoxic) there are some cautions and contraindications to be aware of:
Interactions with Medications lowering bioavailability: Some medications including some anti-epileptic drugs, methotrexate (a medication used for cancer and autoimmune diseases), oral contraceptives, antacids, Potassium sparing diuretics, NSAIDS and certain antibiotics, will interfere with folate metabolism thus lowering bioavailability.
Allergy or Sensitivity: Some individuals may be allergic or sensitive to MTHF or other forms of folate. If you have a known allergy or sensitivity to folate, it is important to avoid the use of MTHF
Vitamin B12 Deficiency: MTHF supplementation may mask or hide the symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency, which can lead to neurological complications if not properly diagnosed and treated. It is recommended to have your vitamin B12 levels monitored if you are taking MTHF supplements.
Pregnancy and Breastfeeding: MTHF is often prescribed to pregnant women or women planning to conceive to support foetal development. However, the use of any dietary supplements or medications during pregnancy or breastfeeding should be discussed with a healthcare professional to ensure safety and appropriate dosing.